South African man burns to death in sleep in Kitwe

By Staff Reporter

A 39-year-old South African man has been burnt to death after fire swept through the house while he was asleep in Nkana East residential area in Kitwe.

In a media statement Copperbelt police commissioner Charity Katanga said Edwin Mthetwa, 39, died from the fire that is believed to have started from the kitchen at around 01:30 hours at house number 73003A in Nkana East.

Katanga has also confirmed that three people survived the infernal that gutted the entire house.

“The four were sleeping in different bedrooms and one of the occupants noticed the fire and later alerted his friends. The survivors are Anthony Cotch, 40, Jack Nockmore, 33, both South Africans and David Phiri, 46, a Zambian,” said Katanga

She said the body of the deceased has since been deposited at the Kitwe Teaching Hospital mortuary.