Mvunga says SCT theft report ready
By Staff Reporter
Deputy Secretary to Cabinet in Charge of Finance and Economic Affairs Christopher Mvunga says the forensic and administrative audit into alleged abuse of Social Cash Transfer funds has been finalized and submitted to Cabinet Office.
Deputy Secretary to Cabinet in Charge of Finance and Economic Affairs Christopher Mvunga told journalists at State House on Thursday the forensic audit was submitted to Cabinet Office and Secretary to the Treasury on January 29, 2019.
Mvunga said Cabinet office was now studying the report to understand the implications of the forensic audit on the ministry of Community Development and Zampost.
The Deputy Secretary to Cabinet said government would present the forensic report to the cooperating partners who are key stakeholders in the implementation of Zambia’s Social Cash Transfer Scheme.
Mvunga said government would discuss the report with the donors and also explore ways of continuing financial support to the scheme.
He said the general public would be informed of recommendations and actions that will be taken regarding the administrative and forensic audits of the alleged abuse of the funds.
Last year, President Edgar Lungu directed forensic and administrative inquiries when reports surfaced of alleged corruption, abuse and maladministration of social cash transfer funds at the ministry of Community Development and Social Services and the government appointed agent Zampost.
Meanwhile, beneficiaries of the scheme in Kitwe have bemoaned the lack of payment of monthly rations.
The beneficiaries said that they were currently facing difficulties to cope with their daily needs following the non-receipt of funds.
Wusakile Ward scheme community assistant, Mary Phiri, said beneficiaries were eagerly waiting for the disbursement of the funds to cushion the financial challenges.
Phiri told ZANIS in an interview that the anxious beneficiaries were wondering when the payment to the district would resume since the last payment in June last year.
She however commended the authority for the social scheme, saying it had contributed to most beneficiaries bettering their livelihood.
And when reached for a comment, Kitwe District Social Welfare Officer Kombe Kamanga revealed that government was putting in measures to ensure that funds were released for the programme.
Kamanga urged the scheme beneficiaries to remain calm, while resources were being put in place.