ZRA revokes 49 clearing agents’ licences

By Staff Reporter

 

ZAMBIA Revenue Authority (ZRA) has revoked 49 clearing agents’ licences for various offences relating to smuggling since January this year.

 

And ZRA Corporate and Communications manager, Topsy Sikalinda disclosed that there were 823 active clearing companies out of which, 10 control almost 93% of business while the rest share 7%.

 

Speaking yesterday during a media briefing, Sikalinda said that they would not hesitate to revoke any licence for anyone found abetting smuggling.

 

Sikalinda said some smugglers, masquerading as clearing agents were going round the country soliciting for a country-wide disruption to the smooth facilitation of trade across the borders.

 

“This scheme is being hatched in response to our heightened anti-smuggling strategy and the standardisation of the valuation for duty purposes of imported used motor vehicle including the recent decision to start allowing individuals to self-clear their importation,” he said.

 

“These interventions have reduced opportunities for corruption and smuggling hence the reaction by smugglers who are masquerading as clearing agents and causing confusion in the clearing business.”

 

Sikalinda said the purported clearing agents protested at Chirundu, Kazungula and Livingstone border posts.

 

Sikalinda also said ZRA legal team had secured two convictions in Nakonde involving clearing agents, namely IIan Sinyinza aged 27 and Now Zyambo aged 28.

 

“The two were convicted of forgery and uttering false documents, contrary to section 342, 347 and 352 of the Penal Code Act, Cap 87of the laws of Zambia. The two are currently serving their six months jail sentence,” he said.

 

 

Leave a comment